Today my children returned to school. After six weeks of blissfully easy going mornings with no rushing around, there was a flurry of early morning activity and off they went.
The silence in the house is deafening.
For me though, I need the silence, I need to be still and quiet and just be. It is the easiest way I have found to nourish myself and tune into the frequency of my heart and soul. Enjoying a cuppa in the silence, writing in my journal it truly is my idea of bliss.
You might not have the perfect day today, maybe you are at work, maybe you have young kids at home or maybe your to do list is longer than you hoped. But doing something just for you doesn’t need to be complicated or time consuming.
Here are 10 ways to easily nourish yourself today, see how many you can do now:
- Be grateful – say 10 things you are grateful for right now- say them out loud, write them down but feel grateful – it instantly enhances your mood.
- Breathe – yep slow and deep deliberate breaths to really centre yourself.
- Go outside and look up into the sky – marvel at the clouds, the bright blue sky, the drizzling rain. Just being outside can instantly transform you.
- Do something you love today that is just for you – read a few pages of your favourite book, catch up on a show you have been busting to see, take a bath. Whatever works for you.
- Enjoy your favourite dinner tonight.
- Catch up with a friend – a chat, a phone call, maybe even only a text to let them know you are thinking of them.
- Listen to your favourite song, in the car or at home. Crank it up if you want and escape for those few precious minutes.
- Keep a journal, write in it when you can or when it feels right. This helps to get out all of that stuff swirling around in your head. Plus it makes for great reading down the track!
- Drink some water, eat some fruit, do something that instantly nourishes your body that you know is super good for you.
- Use your good stuff. Don’t wait for another day to use the good tea cup or the new top you have just purchased. You are worth it right now, so don’t wait for tomorrow, you deserve it now!
Make time for yourself a priority, even if you need to schedule it in for later. Go for that walk after work, when the kids are napping – lie down yourself, before you go to bed tonight – read that book.
Nourishing yourself should be an important part of your day. It’s not selfish to treat yourself with love and respect. Enhancing your mood and feeling good will have a huge flow on effect to all of those around you.
“When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
What are you doing today just for you?
photo credit : Carli Jean via Unsplash